Is it because you are slow to change and will “get around to it” at some point? Or are you one of the people who feel it is unnecessary because of the popularity of 3rd party Twitter dashboards like Hootsuite and Tweetdeck?
While that is true many people do click through to good old Twitter.com when checking out new people and brands. The new profile gives brands a great opportunity to continue the brand message and entice people to follow and engage with you. Think of the old style profiles as the new version of the egg avatar.
Consider Mobile –
Another reason to be sure you switch your profile over is the impact is has on mobile screens. The new profile has been optimized for mobile viewing. Roughly 1 out of 3 Americans will be using the web via a phone vs a computer, this stat does not include tablets.
Mobile web search will pass desktop web searches for the first time in 2015. This means the primary way your customers will be interacting with you will be via handheld mobile devices and not sitting at a desk.
Here is how to update your Twitter profile:
1) Log in to Twitter. (Notice the new “Me” tab). Click on the gear icon on the top right, and then choose “Settings”.
2) Once in “Settings” click on “Design”
3) Scroll down to where it says “Customize Your Own” and choose “Header.”
Twitter gives recommended photo dimensions of 1200 pixels by 600 pixels. Images smaller than 600 pixels in height appear distorted and stretched so use a photo as closely sized photo as you can.
4) Click “Change Header” and upload your image. Drag the photo to center your photo and use the bar underneath to change the size of your image.
5) Click “Save” and you are set!
Need some ideas for inspiration? Check out some creative cover pictures here.
Some Milwaukee users already using the changed profile:
VISIT Milwaukee @visitmilwaukee
Milwaukee Bucks @Bucks